Six University of Kentucky educators were recently named recipients of the UK Alumni Association 2019 Great Teacher Award.
The recipients are:
- Charles Hazle Jr., College of Health Sciences, Department of Physical Therapy
- Gregory Luhan, College of Design, School of Architecture
- Margaret Rintamaa, College of Education, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- Melvin Coffee, College of Communication and Information, School of Journalism and Media
- Michael D. Toland, College of Education, Department of Educational, School, and Counseling Psychology
- Wendy Liu, Gatton College of Business and Economics, Finance and Quantitative Methods
Award recipients will be honored at the UK Alumni Association Great Teacher Award Recognition Dinner on Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the Hyatt Regency in Lexington. They will also be recognized during the Arkansas vs. Kentucky men’s basketball game that evening.
The Great Teacher Award, started in 1961, is the longest-running University of Kentucky award recognizing teaching. In order to receive the award, educators must first be nominated by a student. The UK Alumni Association Great Teacher Award Committee, in cooperation with the student organization Omicron Delta Kappa, then makes the final selection. Recipients receive an engraved plaque and stipend.
See photos from each surprise announcement below.
Charles Hazle Jr.
Michael D. Toland